What is UNIX Internship
- UNIX: University-Industry Exchange
- A collaboration programme between the Faculty and Industry
- Integrating two undergraduate courses, i.e., Industrial Internship and Undergraduate Research Project as one package
- To become one-stop centre for innovation exchange
- To exploit faculty expertise and facilities to industries
- To promote industrial-based undergraduate research project
- To strengthen industry-faculty collaboration
- Industrial demand for highly qualified human capital: interpersonal leadership and technical skills
- University must become more responsive to the current needs of the country
- Collaborative effort between industry and the university
Our Current Practice
- 10 weeks in-house Industrial Internship
- Students expect the industry to provide them with learning experience
- Tasks given only lasts for 10 weeks: one-sided, small impact
- Companies fulfill their social responsibility
- Companies always look forward to solve their real industrial problems
- Solving such projects may require longer than a 10-week industrial internship
- Students will be assigned with specific industrial projects that lasts for 3 semesters (1 year)
- Aimed towards solving the real problems faced by the industries
- Enhance the students’ competency and hands-on skills
- Start with 10% of students who required to do Industrial Internship
- Industry/faculty will identify relevant projects
- Industry will be invited to co-supervise and assess students’ performance
- Students are attached to the respective companies to conduct detailed studies
- Semester 1: Technology screening and literature survey. Project proposal – April prior to industrial internship.
- Semester 2: 10 weeks on-site industrial internship. Students start collecting operation data. Progress report – June.
- Semester 3: Technical & feasibility analyses, improvement and economic analysis. Final report – November.
Advantages to Industry
- Highly motivated manpower
- Useful outcome of research that beneficial to industry
- Enhance industry-university partnership
- Able to recruit future employees
- Chance to pre-select top students
Benefits to Students
- Industry-based undergraduate research project
- Direct relation with the industry
- Enhance competency and hands-on skills
- A secured internship placement
- Priority registration
- Acknowledgement from the Faculty
- Enhanced image of both university and the industrial entity.
- Enhance the value of university research.
Capitalization of Contribution
- Industry: Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Faculty: Endowment
How to Apply?
- See the list of available projects at the Academic Office notice board.
- Get your application form from UNIX-Internship secretariat (Dr Zaki Yamani; N01-230, 07-553 5553, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pre-screening will be carried out by the respective Faculty supervisor. (Note: You may be called for an interview)